Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pre-op appointment and instructions...

My pre-op appointment was yesterday, April 25, 2011.  While walking into the facility, I said to my husband, "Oh man, the next time I am walking into this place, I won't be leaving the same person... terrified!" He put his arm around me and said I'd be fine, I'm tougher than I know =)

Without further ado.... here's the news:

Some good, some bad.  Bad news first... I have to drink the GoLYTELY bowel prep 72 hours prior to surgery, and then have a low residue diet up until then =/  At first I was told I would not have to do this because I'm not having liposuction or muscle tightening, but apparently doc changed his mind.  My tattoo (tramp stamp), upon further measurements, might not be fully removed... Also, I had decided (after MUCH deliberation) that I wanted to go with a full C cup versus a D....well, unless I want some serious scarring and potentially odd looking breasts, I have to go with the D.  Not so bad, just a little worried they will still sag or be lopsided.  I need to quit worrying!

Good news is with the high profile silicone 500cc implants, I won't have to get any other incision except for around the areola.  Not sure they will be lifted enough to look natural...? but hey, I trust his judgment.  More good news is that I confronted him with a story from one of his past patients who had difficulties and he was very open to explaining the issues involved and how his business and technique has changed since then.  He also explained that he will give me very specific instructions on how to handle recovery & his cell number if I have any questions.... so I feel more comfortable.  Prescription pain pill for recovery? PERCOCET. Thank you Lord! I was worried he'd give me something like Tylenol 3 since I cannot handle any vicodin lol 

The next 17 days are going to FLY by... I have so much to get ready around the house. I want to clean everything, prepare my "recovery station" and have everything ready to go for the morning of the 13th.

My basic instructions 10 days prior:

  • stop taking all herbal supplements (talk to Dr about other meds you are taking)
  • fill all prescriptions and bring them with you to surgery
  • take vitamin C 500mg & zinc 50mg daily
  • begin drinking protein shakes (I recommend Jillian Michael's chocolate powder shakes)
  • set up a "recovery station" where you have:
  1. bottled water & straws
  2. prescription medication from Dr
  3. pillows
  4. heating pad
  5. lotion
  6. wet wipes (preferrably antibacterial)
  7. phone & charger
  8. laptop & charger
  9. blankets & extra pillows
  10. crackers and pail w/plastic bags for nausea =/
  11. flashlight
  12. camera
  13. mirror
  14. thermometer

72 hours prior:
  • Start GoLYTELY prep
  • Low residue diet and clear liquids (basically I can eat eggs, fish, chicken, vegetable & fruit juice with no pulp, breads (with less than 1 gm of dietary fiber-includes pasta, chips, crackers & cereal), white rice, and broth based soups strained
  • wash with antibacterial soap (dial)
  • remove nail polish & all jewelry (so I don't forget to leave it at home!)
  • pack hospital bag in case (toothbrush, deodorant, brush, contact case, extra undies, etc.)

I guess there's not much to do other than the things listed above.... I keep thinking how WEIRD it's going to be, having this huge operation and then an hour after waking up, being able to walk out of the office? WTF?! I hope I really am as tough as my husband likes to believe =/ 

Found an excellent blog from "Kimmers25" which discusses everything from preparation, emotions, physical pain, recovery, etc. of a tummy tuckhttp://www.realself.com/forum/month-month-diary-post-tummy-tuck Just wish I could find a body lift blog... it'd be so helpful because I have so many questions!!!

Some tips I have stolen from the internet about preparing for surgery...
I'm sure I'll have more to add to this list but it's bed time =)

8 comments:

  1. Ginger after reading all of this I must admit it got me a bit concerned/worried. I just wanted to say that when I went in for brain surgery, I was in the dark. I didnt go searching on the net, I didnt ask the Dr. and by the grace of God , the Dr. knew I was so hysterical I think he thought best to not tell me everything. I think he made the right choice. :) I know its a different story and I can not imagine how scared you must be. Try to stop thinking of it all and put your mind at rest for a few weeks because soon you will have your recovery and I know it wont be easy but I think you will be so happy its done and you survived that a lot of the pain and stress of the surgery will fade easily. Just know you are doing the right thing and within a couple of months you have the whole summer and bikini time here you come and look out everyone! :) Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. This verse has got me through a lot!!! That is saying... through Christ, you can face anything, anything, because He is there!! I hate to sound like a preacher to you, :) its just what really helps me Ginger. This soon will pass sweetie and then you will have so much more to say and so much more to share and help so many others who are as scared as you are! You really dont understand the impact of what you are doing and how you have had the wisdom of journaling this and helping so many others including myself!! You are my ''hero'' and I pass your story to others and keep up the great work. YOU ARE A SUCCESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never did a "mommy makeover" but i can tell you how i feel about the 4 plastic surgeries i did have. i have had my nose done twice, a chin implant, and breast augmentations. i have never regretted any of them, i feel better about myself then i did before i had them and im happy with my looks.
    thanks
    Smita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post,Thanks for a nice share you have given to us with such an large collection of information about Mommy Makeover Surgery .

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very good and informative article indeed. It helps me a lot to enhance my knowledge, I really like the way the writer presented his views.Mommy Makeover

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are looking for Mommy Makeover in India come to MedSpa. Dr. Ajaya Kashyap India's best plastic surgeon help you to make you understand all thing about Mommy Makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! www.surgeongate.org/michigan-plastic-surgery/michigan-tummy-tuck/

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way. Thank you for your clear information. www.surgeongate.org/michigan-plastic-surgery/mommy-makeover/

    ReplyDelete