Friday, May 27, 2011

2 weeks post op check up.... A MUST READ!!!

****ATTENTION*** to everyone reading this blog.... DON'T WAIT TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR.  I began bleeding 6 days ago and called my doctor the next day when it hadn't stopped. He told me to hold pressure and call if I have any problems. Well, it bled for 6 days and I was too stubborn to call and too scared because I didn't want to be stuck with needles or have stitches..... BIG MISTAKE!  I had a hematoma under my skin. Not life threatening in the clot sense because it was held in the skin and old black blood but WOW, he drained soooo much from me!!!!!  I'm no longer swollen but I'm far from comfortable.... here's how things went down (to the best of my knowledge because I had my eyes closed):

Mark & I get into Dr. Bradley's office and he undresses the wound dressings and sees the bleeding and begins massaging the area above the incision as I did to get the blood out. He then cuts the previous sutures and holds open the wound about an inch by spreading it with the scissors and starts massaging out the hematoma.


Dr. Bradley was pretty pissed I didn't call him right away like he told me to, but I just honestly thought it would go away... fail!  He said I had about 50cc of old blood come out-- Mark said it was 5 times that amount =/  not as bad as what it seemed being me but still a large amount.  He explained that the hematoma was formed in some sort of open cavity allowing blood to form between the skin and fat.  He also said it was the first time he'd ever seen it happen- go figure, I'm the one it has to happen to haha I just have the best of luck!  Anyway, he was impressed I didn't have any infection seeing as it had been an open wound for 6 days but truly I washed it with antibacterial soap and when changing gauze, used hydrogen peroxide. 
Once the old blood had been expelled, the doctor inserted a penrose drain (very similar to a straw) about 4 inches in by my belly button and sticks out about 1/2 inch.  It has no holes in it like typical abdominal drains but it's DEFINITELY doing it's job because I had to change the pad about an hour after my appoinment. Dr. Bradley stitched the hose to the wound and I was sent home to rest and relax this wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
The obvious possibilities of all the things that could have happened (and God bless me, didn't) would have been life threatening and I just ignored all of the signs.  The chest pain I had where I couldn't sleep last night?  Gone. I finally feel really comfortable with the outcome of this body lift. I was sooooo swollen and uncomfortable but I bet I've already lost a full pants size. And remember how I was complaining about how I used to be able to see my pelvic bone but now I couldn't?  Well, now I can see it.  I look freak'n SKINNY!  I'm not out of the woods yet... I have a drain until Tuesday but I think the real recovery will begin then.
Weird thing I just noticed, I can feel the blood moving around by the hose. It's a tickly feeling and then it's just gone. It keeps happening lol weirddddd.  Well, I bet I'll sleep MUCH better tonight! 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your journey! I hope your healing moves forward with no more unique glitches!

    ReplyDelete