Friday, June 17, 2011

5 weeks post op

Normally when you read about someone being 5 weeks post op, their life is back to normal, they're getting ready to start going back to the gym and the scarring is already looking better.  I, however, am starting back at step 1. Actually, I can't even say I'm at step 1 considering I'm still an open wound... so once I've been sewn back together (in 2-3 weeks), then I can say I'm back to step 1... hmm.. great.

My home nurse, Beth, came today and she is quite the character.  I explained everything that I've been through over the last 5 weeks and she was very interested.  It's nice to get to tell someone on the outside what I've gone through and to hear their input.  She is funny and talkative, I'm really glad I have someone so personable coming out checking on me.  My mom was also here, she has been great in coming over keeping me company, cooking me food, washing my hair and being my errand runner.

After doing the history and chart check up, she took off the wound vac dressings to check out the wound.  She said that it looked very healthy and fresh and no dead or infected tissue so that's a plus.  She then did measurements and I was SHOCKED to find out that the hip wound stretches back 9cm from where the opening is into my back.  It's just a bunch of dead space where tissue was pulled from! I tried to capture this with the camera but you can't really see the depth....



You can see in this picture, the hip wound stretches to my back and down my hip.  The hip "hole" stretches down 7cm and around to the back 9cm.

I still can't believe this is me.  I can't go back and change anything but even Dr. Bradley said that if he could do anything different, he would have put me in a compression garment which would have prevented the hematoma.  Just makes me sick to my stomach. How did I get here?  I am not allowed to go enjoy my summer.... my 4 year anniversary was spent throwing my guts up. My husband's 26th birthday was spent in the hospital and my 27th birthday will be spent at home, attached to a wound vac =/  How in the world will life ever get back to normal?? Or will it?

5 comments:

  1. Glad your nurse is nice and adds some cheer to your day. I know it sucks to think of all the stuff you are going to miss this year, but I think it goes along with PS except you got it worse than most of us.

    I had a lot done recently and because of it, my husband's birthday was a joke, my daughter's wasn't much better and I miss most of the summer fun (swimming) with my family.

    Life will get back to normal, this just won't be "your year." It will pass though and you will me a great anniversary next year and great birthdays and an amazing summer. And you won't have all that loose skin holding you back from enjoying all of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you cant see it now but I think this IS your year. I think the Lord has a plan and so much is going to come out of this. I know since I told the people at church about this , some lady introduced me to another lady. I couldnt get you off of my mind and cried every day. Well this lady was so full of joy and love and energy. I found out today...she is dying and doesnt have much time left.

    I know you may not understand this and others reading it may not but I do. The Lord is showing me that there could be worse things. He has graced me with meeting this lady and she is giving me wisdom and I am hoping to give her joy and love and help on her last days on earth.

    You will be an inspiration to many. The important dates will come again. The most imporatant date of all is when we really accept Christ in our hearts. Your kids are young and will bounce back. Buster will learn from this and your nurses and people you cross paths with. I dont expect you to be me but my brain surgery was a blessing in disguise.

    Remember...go outside, when you hear a bird sing, the Lord is singing to you. Look at the trees and grass and feel the breeze and know you are blessed and soon this shall pass.

    I love you Ginger and although it seems so dark right now I think you will see the bigger light when this is over and past.

    Your other mom
    aka Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. To learn about mommy makeover surgery in India, call board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Dr.Milan Doshi at +91 9869041559 for a free consultation today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are looking for Mommy Makeover Surgery in India come to MedSpa. Dr. Ajaya Kashyap India's best plastic surgeon help you to make you understand all thing about Mommy Makeover surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it! https://www.surgeongate.org/michigan-plastic-surgery/mommy-makeover/

    ReplyDelete